Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Oh God...

I was in Fresno for a total of 19.5 hours. 
I made it through Andrea and Bobby's wedding on 3 hours of sleep.

Tim and I drove back to the north bay; He had work and I had to prepare for the biggest test ever... 
The second term practical. 
Did you say that in a scary voice. You should have because this  test was horrifying.

The test is a two day test designed to determine whether or not we as students have learned enough to continue in the program. I'm getting nervous all over again writing about this test. 

On the first day, I had 3.5 hours to make puff pastry, bake two cakes, make pate a choux and pastry cream for eclairs. 

On day two, I had to make buttercream, build one cake, the cake. I also rolled out my puff pastry, built my apple strip tart and baked it. Lastly, I baked the eclairs, filled them with pastry cream and dipped them in chocolate fondant. 

I finished with ten minutes to spare. 

Okay, I know you're wondering how I did on the test... I got a 92%! 
I was graded on all product made, professionalism and cleanliness.

The biggest mistake I made was slightly oversalting the puff pastry and not having even layers of buttercream.

I don't have any pictures to share because I wanted to get my product in as soon as possible and run out of the kitchen to have a nice cold beer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment